PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 10:20
pulse1

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
The C119 picture brought back some very happy memories for me. In the mid 50's, as an ATC cadet, we often cycled out to RAF LLandow to unofficially help to refuel the Vampires of 614 Sdn Aux. One particular weekend we got there to discover that 614 had gone away for the weekend. The whole place, including the parachute section was closed up.

We were just about to leave, having made a nuisance of ourselves playing in some derelict Mosquitos and Lancasters when 3 USAF C119's came into land and a lorry loads of paratroopers appeared on the tarmac. They were about to do drop over Fairwood Common so we set about scrounging a ride. First, we needed parachutes (not that we would be jumping out too) but, as mentioned, the section was closed. So we approached the Army in the form of the RSM to be told firmly that there would be no passengers on this trip.

So, very disappointed, we watched as everyone embarked until one of the crew came to the door and asked us if we were coming. We explained that we didn't have parachutes and, to our delight, he appeared with two parachutes and in we got. Fortunately it was not the aircraft with the RSM on board.

What an amazing experience for an ATC cadet, taking off with 32 more passengers than we landed with, watching a Landrover drop from one of the other aircraft, enjoying the roomy cockpit with well used ashtrays all over the place, standing at the open rear door looking at the ground about 800' below and feeling somewhat airsick.

I had never heard of reverse thrust in those days so, as we landed back at LLandow, I thought that the nose wheel had collapsed as there was a terrible noise and the nose pitched down. A fantastic experience.