PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 09:14
Flying Horseman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introduction

Hi PPRuNe,

I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Lachlan and I've been lurking ... I mean, following this RAAF Flight Screening Program (Merged) thread for some time now. There is a veritable wealth of information contained here that has already answered many of my questions. To that end, I'd like to offer a big thank you to all the contributors who have given of their time and expertise to help everyone out. It's really appreciated!

I'm in my late twenties and am giving serious consideration to embarking on a new career as a Direct Entry RAAF Pilot. After spending the past 10+ years working various office-based roles, studying for university degrees, gathering life experiences and understanding more about what makes me tick, I believe this would be a huge step in the right direction. I'm currently working in the Advertising industry and it's nigh time for a change.

What draws me to this career is:

- Operating airborne vehicles many dream about;
- Receiving extensive world-class training and support;
- Being part of something bigger in a like-minded team;
- Learning a professional skill used and respected the world over;
- Making a tangible contribution to peoples lives (e.g. humanitarian missions); and
- Being in a predominantly non-office based environment.

I'm at the start of this new journey and am ready for the lengthy and challenging road ahead. There are, however, a few potential hurdles to overcome:

a) No flying experience;
b) Past the preferred 27.5 age requirement;
c) Untested dead reckoning and motor skills; and
d) Mild myopia (short sightedness) of -3.25.

Walk in the park, huh! The last two concern me most and stopped me pursuing this career post high school. Thankfully, I found this thread and have been again motivated to investigate all possibilities, ready for the numerous challenges ahead.

I'll definitely be in need of some advice with questions forthcoming soon, but for now I'll keep gathering the available information and check in when I hit a wall.

Thanks in advance and keep up the stellar work.

Cheers,
Lachlan (and all its variations ... I love them all!)