PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRM - Argumentative copilots
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 07:33
too_much

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in a FO career he will fly with 1,000 different Captains and learn 1,000 new SOP's

Sounds like this Check Captain thought he was above the law and created his own SOP's e.g. flying overhead the NDB 210 Kts.

In this situation I think the PF needs to be very clear in the approach briefing about what he is going to do and at what speeds heights etc, especially with Captains that are known trouble makers.

Sure I have done approaches with an FO I know and trust very well and the approach brief can be over in a matter of seconds, but then there are these strange folk that seem to question everything you do, and start to overrule for the sake of trying to be the boss.

In every airline there is always one check Captain that is a totally pain in the arse, but that is life.

As for myself, when I was an FO and learning my trade I had a very resigned attitude towards my Captains, as nothing I said or did ever mattered to them, I learnt alot about what you shouldn't do as a Captain to promote CRM and work as a team, the end result was that my FO's would say I am the best Captain they ever flew with, not because I let them get away with murder, but because I knew how to treat them, and discuss even the smallest things with them, get them involved and make them realize I appreciate there input.