PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good pilots/Bad pilots
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2014, 21:37
glendalegoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Con Pilot.

A sincere thank you for sharing that story. Yes, Hangar flying is just one of those things that takes time, call it simmering the stew which really makes a pilot. Rushing through a 250 hour course and jumping into a little jet doesn't make you a pilot.

It is stories like that which makes you think and thinking leads to good flying.

There is a story about leadership I would like to share. It is told in the US Army sometimes...even in the officers manual. IT has to do with telling the truth.

A very popular (with his men) new lieutenant was in charge of his platoon
and marched them a good long way in a peacetime exercise. He was supposed to get them to point X instead he got them to point Y and let them rest, they were exhausted.

A radio call asking him his position and he told them Point X. Fine.

5 minutes later the whole platoon was killed by friendly fire. The LT had lied about his position to let his tired men rest. But point Y was where the artillery was aimed for a peace time exercise.

Great to be popular. Great to help a guy out. But he told his colonel a lie or untruth and his men paid for it. He could have said: COLONEL we are tired at I am resting my men at POINT Y. But he didn't.

He could have forced marched his men to Point X and had them talking behind his back, but he didn't.

So, some good men died.

Its all about good intention vs being a good officer.