PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - aircraft over colchester followed by two fighter jets
Old 1st Aug 2014, 16:51
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Going back to rightbank's post #36.

About 30 years ago I was based at JFK on DC-10s. This particular day I was conducting the annual line check of my boss. We were going down to the Caribbean and back for the day. He picked up the tech log and found a deferred maintenance item which stated that the two green pea bulbs on the No 1 VHF set were u/s (one of them lit up to show which frequency was live dependant on the position of the left/right flip switch).

"How bloody ridiculous" said he showing me the entry. "Can you believe the rubbish that people put in the tech log"?

He duly flew us down to the Caribbean and I flew the aircraft back to JFK. So, he was doing the radio. JFK were on Carnasie VOR circling approaches to 13L. Traffic is heavy and frequency changes were equally heavy. At the critical moment, my boss scrambled the frequency that we were actually on (because the little light wasn't working) and so the fun began.

In the meantime, I am flying a Carnasie approach on my own while he has got completely confused. In the end I told him to just call JFK Tower.

THEY WERE VERY PLEASED TO HEAR FROM US!

I don't care what fancy radios that you have but it is always a good idea to have the PNF scribble down the next frequency on the scribble pad that every PNF should have beside his left or right wrist.

God, I'm getting old-fashioned!