PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ian Macfadyen gets a Nice Surprise !!
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2014, 14:06
Fg Off Bloggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worked for him in OR when he was ACDS OR(Air). An absolute gentleman and a good boss. Last saw him when I reincarnated into a senior roll at DIOT and he came to review a graduation parade. By then he was an Air Marshal and by then he was on gardening leave in his last months in the service void of the trappings of senior rank (ie. no ADC or PSO). Before he retired he was desperate to review the cadets at graduation as he wanted to parade with his father's sword one last time, I seem to recall. He duly arrived and overnighted with the Comdt in The Lodge. On the morning of the parade he pulled his No1 out of its suit bag and was appalled to see that he had brought his old AVM uniform rather than his spankingly smart AM uniform! Undeterred he slipped into his tired costume and climbed on board the limo with the Comdt for the short drive to the parade square in front of CHOM. It was my duty to greet him and then follow the Comdt and the RO to the dais along the carpet in front of the grandstands. As I did so, I was amused to note that not only was the AM posing as an AVM but the backside of his trousers had a huge gash in them and his shirt tail was poking through! He didn't appear to give a damn (if he actually knew)!

Good old McFadge - a great man and well worth the knighthood - never could understand why they changed the rules about automatic for a 3-star just before he got his 3rd! If anybody deserves it, he does!

Bloggs