PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving that well paid job to fly
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2002, 23:35
Quarternion.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I'll go along with ppl172,. .. .Don't see what the big deal of leaving a job is all about. Did my ATPL's part time 4hrs/night + weekends for nine months. I was certainly one of the slow ones as plenty others overtook me doing it the same way. Did 20 odd hours weekend CPL flying course + briefings. . .. .Only IR to go and could do this full time over a months holiday (or so) at Bristol, Oxford or Jerez if I wanted to name drop on my CV. But I can meet the same qualification standard doing a part time course for 1/3 the cost and no loss of earnings.. .. .Don't see the logic in throwing away one year of IT pay and 35K+ to do a full time course and cover myself for travel & expenses etc. So what's that work out to be a total loss of 70K, probably 100K (before tax) at the end of the day depending on the IT position. It is possible to have a (secure?) well paid job and achieve your flying dream at the same time.. .. .Sounds more like a lifestyle make or break decision without fully testing the water. Who knows you may not like the pressure and lifestyle of the airline job at the end of the course (although I very much doubt it).. .. .Anyway best of luck and enjoy the year out.