PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skymark Interview and Sim
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2014, 12:43
DG1000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skymark Interview and Sim

Because some have asked via pm:

Some of my positives to working at SKY:

Uniforms: company Polo shirt, ball cap, or windbreaker. Any one of those three and you are considered in uniform. Japan has poor washing machines (cold water only) and no at-home tumble dryers so it's nice not having to bleach, wash, and iron your shirts.

Per diem: you will pocket per diem every month unless you expect to drink or eat like a king. And if you do you will probably have trouble passing the under 30 BMI required by the medical anyway. It's easy to eat healthy and inexpensively in Japan. The crew meals vary widely from station to station. If you don't like rice or fish you'll have to find your own alternatives. Vegetarian meal doesn't exist. All company related travel (trains/taxis/bus) are either paid for or reimbursed.

Housing allowance: see live like a king above. I put in my pocket approx. $1,000 extra a month living in a 3 room, 52 sq.m apartment with two balconies. One is big enough to be truly useable. (garden umbrella, patio furniture, BBQ grill, etc. the other is my laundry drying space.) 10 minute walk to train station, 9 minute ride to the domestic terminal at HND.

So someone doesn't accuse me of having a Kool-Aid stain on my lips there are many trials and travails here. I will only tell you about my personal and specific experiences so far. If I encounter a bad one I'll be sure to pass it along.

DG