PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Basic flying skills vs flight control augmentation: where is the rotary world?
Old 1st Aug 2014, 11:23
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 466 Likes on 246 Posts
We have to adapt to new ways in all walks of life. In the process, some skills that were a necessity in a bygone era become less so in the future.

Put an "old and bold, traditional map and compass only" pilot in a modern cockpit and he would be lost even before he got off the ground - he probably couldn't even switch it on!

As one of the previous category I've had to adapt as things become invented. Some of my skills from "my" bygone era are now far less polished, if they ever were.....but navigating at 50 feet agl in a tactical situation using map and compass and stopwatch in an aircraft with no navaids (not even a heading bug) and being able to consistently arrive at an LS within 15 seconds of the required ETA certainly took some doing.

These days I put in the ALT and NAV modes, look at the GPS kit and adjust my IAS until the ETA is the same as the booked slot time... much simpler but I'm glad of the respite; I reckon I earned it.

Even so, it only gives the ETA to the nearest minute...I must have been four times as good!