PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headsets
Thread: Headsets
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2003, 12:10
Old Man Rotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tools of the Trade.....

If your going to be a constant user of the Head Set.....my only solid advice......don't buy cheap.

The rest is personal choice.

My experience has only been with the Alpha and Gentex helmet, David Clark, Bose, Peltor and Telex headsets.

The Peltor in my view for Helicopter folk stands out head and shoulders above the rest.....
But beware if wish to use the Peltor ANR and you are wearing a Mark 28, 50 or Switlik Jacket, as this Peltor has a solid long plug that protrudes vertically from the bottom of the earcup, and every time you turn your head the plug snags on the top of your jacket [perhaps my neck needs to grow longer!!]......Non ANR Peltors have the cable protruding from the side of the ear cup, which are fine with your jacket.

David Clarke has been around for years, and generally have a good reputation, their units are a little heavier but solid and robust.

If your rich.....go and try a Bose....US$1000 if you shop around.....but excellent performer, and fully expect to have it stolen???....the ANR is excellent.

There is a difference between ANR and ordinary headsets.......it is noticable when you turn the ANR system off.........a set of ear plugs under a good headset is also good....so ANR or not is personal choice.

If your swapping between High and Low impedence radio systems, [eg B412 - B206] either have two mics or a dual impedence system in your headset or helmet....there are kits that are commercially available as a retro fit....if you drop a case of beer on your Techs bench, he should be able to install it for you.

Using a non helicopter headset in a helicopter is another compromise best avoided.....non standard plugs and non coil leads are a hassle.....also different NRR.

Yes there are "Splitter Cables" available that will take a Helicoptor U174/U plug to match the dual plug aeroplane system, and a different "Splitter Cable" to take the Aeroplane dual sytem back to the Helicopter U174/U [go to the accessories page of the David Clarke web page for more info]

Buy a High Quality Headset as you start your first job, and it will serve you faithfully for years and tears.

Last edited by Old Man Rotor; 10th May 2003 at 15:41.