PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which florida flight school for PPL?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2014, 16:03
BobD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL in Florida

For what it's worth, here is my 2p:

After a lifetime of wanting to learn to fly, I decided three years ago at the age of Sixty that if I didn't do it soon, I would never do it. However, at that age, I had lots of other interests which precluded me spending many weekends at local Schools trying to learn (not to mention the weather!). I therefore decided to go for the quick fix, and headed off to Florida.

I did achieve the PPL in four weeks, and anyone interested can read my day to day experiences on the Florida Blog I created at the time.

Three years on, I look back at the experience as one of the most enjoyable adventures of my life. Like most of life, it is what you make it, and the camaraderie, student style living, and different culture of living and working outside of my comfort zone was fantastic.

I had a couple of lessons before I went, and several on my return (to get used to UK radio, grass strip landing etc.), and built on the basics I learnt getting the PPL. It truly is a License to learn. I now own a share in an aircraft, and fly as often as time and funds allow.

If you do go for the condensed option, my advice would be to study for the exams, and get in as many as possible, before you go. It makes it much less stressful when you are there, and allows you to concentrate on the flying.

It's not a holiday, but it is an experience.