PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Medals/Bar!
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2014, 10:21
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Sloppy Link,

Absolutely right.

The 'accumulated' bit only counts for clasps issued from 1969, so South Arabia - that's Aden for those old enough to remember - Borneo, Malay Peninsula don't qualify.

I seem to recall that the Accumulated Service Medal was lobbied for because of the many repeat visits to Northern Ireland that were not otherwise recognised. This second medal - and I have no bitch about it per se - drives a coach and horses through the argument that we only issue one medal for each campaign. Mind you, there were two for Korea and, if you got your timing right, you could have a pair for Brunei/Borneo. Again after lobbying, the Pingat Jasi Malaysia (PJM) was approved for 'unrestricted wear' three or four years ago and does add a real bit of colour.

As an aside, my wife's station commander (at a secret base in Rutland) always used to say that medals looked nice but they didn't pay the mortgage. Hamish Mahaddie, pathfinder extraordinary, tells that after an investiture at t'Buck House, his mates and he adjourned for some refreshment, when he was asked by a lady what his medals were (they started with a DSO and went downhill from there). He recounts that he looked her in the eye and said: 'Madam, I've no idea, they were on the uniform when I bought it'.

Old Duffer