PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding stories
Thread: Gliding stories
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2014, 07:51
longer ron

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
A few years back out of EGSR in a Robin Hr200 doing PFLs on to the small strip on Lavenham disused. Good student and very thermic day with a massive towering Cu above us, dropped 10 flap and 70 mph and up we went like the preverbal luv sick angel
Many years ago at a very flat norfolk airfield.... most of my gliding experience up to that point had been off the winch,but I had a couple of dual aerotows and was cleared for solo (in a K13)....anyway in those days this club used Condors for towing - not overblessed with power LOL
So I am sitting waiting for launch when the tuggie saunters over and asks 'hows your thermalling on tow? ' - well I'll give it a go says I
The most frightening thing was that we had to use the short rwy which had a big pile of torn up rwy just off the end of it LOL - so we cleared that by at least 10 feet - phew ! and the thermalling on tow went really well and probably doubled the Condor climb rate
So I returned to my own club where they were surprised to find out I had gone solo aerotow and had done a bronze leg - it would have taken me weeks there probably !
I had not gone to norfolk with the intention of flying - I was just keeping my gf company whilst she was doing an SLMGPPL course !