PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2014, 05:47
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbine D, I was well aware of that one but did not mention it because it was nothing at all like the 4 recent. For starters, that was not a scheduled passenger service. Secondly, and most importantly, the pilots were well aware of the airspeed (they had the big round dial). Their problem was that the airspeed reading was incorrect, due icing, and they misinterpreted this.

I will go over it yet again. Since 2009, there have been 4 fatal accidents to scheduled passenger aircraft. The stall, and the apparent unawareness of the airspeed decay were the key ingredients.

Can you point to any similar accidents that occurred prior to the era of the speed tape? I have not been able to identify any. There was the BEA Trident stall crash at Staines, but that does not qualify (there was no period of airspeed decay - the PNF rectracted the "droop" leading edges at too low an airspeed, causing an instant stall).

... because so far you got absolutely nothing.
olasek, I have identified that there has been 4 stall-related accidents in the last 5 years, when for the entire period of commercial aviation prior to the airspeed tape, there was nowhere near this rate. You call that "absolutely nothing"?

In an earlier post I asked you for pointers or links to just one of those studies you claimed NASA had done on how good the tape was. You have not come up with anything. I do not believe any proper studies have been done on the human factors of the speed tape.