PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving that well paid job to fly
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2002, 15:03
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Leaving that well paid job to fly

I've spent the past twelve months on this forum, have visited flying schools, been to Flight Training exhibitions and started a PPL. I've wanted to be an airline pilot since the age of 5 (I'm now 33) and today I put my hand up for severence from my unfulfilling but well paid IT job! It feels like the most sane and yet insane thing I've ever done!. .. .I feel excited and terrified at the same time!! I know that I am following in the footsteps of many of you and I guess I'd appreciate knowing how those of you who have given up the security of an office desk feel about it in retrospect. My main fear is that I may do this and not get a pilot job. There have been a few posts over the months which have worried me which indicated that the FTO's are a bunch of charlatans selling a dream to thousands which will only be achieved by a few. . .. .I know I love flying - it's in my bones and always has been, I know there are no guarantees but I can't help feeling that at 25 I had less to lose than I have now. The other issue is that I already work for an airline and so have spent ten years comforting myself with the fact that 'at least I am in the industry' and can ride juimpseats etc relatively easily but in many ways that has only made the passion to fly even more intense.. .. .Are you still glad you made a similar decision?. .. .Desk-pilot