PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2014, 22:19
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dougy is early but in the know??

"...Hypothesising as to whether Wodger mentions MH17 during tonight's 'lecture'?.."

Good question perhaps we should ask the panel facilitator Dougy for an appraisal of Wodgers performance...:

Panel Discussion at 18:30
“Contemporary Aviation Safety Issues

Panel facilitated by Doug Nancarrow, Editor Aviation Business

Although I somehow doubt whether MH17 would be at the forefront of Wodger's cranium as he seems to be stuck in the past and currently in the nines..:

Synopsis: On 19 July 1989 United Airlines Flight 232 experienced loss of all hydraulic systems as a result of the catastrophic failure of the number 2 engine. The crew and a check captain who was a passenger on the aircraft worked together as a team to exert a semblance of control over the aircraft despite not having been trained for the specific event, and subsequently made a somewhat controlled landing at Gateway Airport, Sioux City, Iowa. Despite the loss of 111 passengers and crew, 185 persons survived this event thanks to the teamwork of the crew.

On 1 June 2009, Air France Flight 447 experienced inconsistencies in air speed measurement over the Atlantic Ocean as a result of the pitot tubes being obstructed by ice crystals. The crew reacted incorrectly and ultimately the aircraft entered an aerodynamic stall which was not recovered. Tragically 228 persons lost their lives.
I also noticed that Dougy was early with his weekly insight....perhaps it had something to do with the upcoming evening's festivities...

Oh well since Dougy's piece is extremely topical, given the last couple of posts, I've decided to copy (almost) in full (apologies in advance DN have chopped the Airnorth correction and the plug for your mate..):
Editor's Insights 31st July 2014
30 Jul 2014
Doug Nancarrow

Interviews for the Director of Safety position at CASA are being held early next week and I understand there are five candidates. The appointment of the DAS was to be by the CASA board, but that’s not complete yet so it’s likely the Chairman and new Deputy Chairman will be representing the board on the interview panel. And there’s bound to be some Departmental representation. Maybe we can expect a quick decision on this critical appointment. The industry watches with great interest and not a little apprehension.

Media debate about Qantas declaring that it’s safe to fly over Iraq is bordering on the irresponsible. And calls for airlines to make public their flight paths are fair enough but it may be something that’s difficult to deliver. If the public expectation becomes absolute safety then how can that expectation be met? When is a zone of unrest acceptable at 33,000ft and when is it not? If there’s actual armed conflict of any degree? Routes between South East Asia and Europe are going to be hard to find if there’s total exclusion from areas of uncertainty.

I mean where does the need-to-know thing stop if we start to head in this direction? Should the captain’s medical record be made available to the passengers of a particular flight? What about the maintenance records for the aircraft?

We have to maintain a culture of confidence in our airlines so that they are trusted to make decisions in the best interests of all.

The thing that (hopefully) makes the MH17 case unique is the supply of hard-core anti-aircraft weapons by the Russian military (and hence government). Common sense and good judgement need to be utilised in making decisions about safe air routes. Let’s hope that‘s what the current powwow involving ICAO, IATA, CANSO and other groups on this subject takes into account.

We’re taking a thorough look at the regional airline industry in the next print issue of Aviation Business, which will be with you in early September.

Did you realise that 16 regional airlines have gone out of business in the last 10 years? I didn’t until I stopped to count them. That’s a pretty tragic toll and it’s surely worth looking at the state-of-the-nation for that industry sector. If you have a perspective you’d care to share with me I’ll be happy to consider including it in the coming report.
"The industry watches with great interest and not a little apprehension."

Certainly got that right...

MTF...