PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 4
Thread: Jet2 4
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2014, 21:51
JonnyH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you really think Jet2 have the resources, funds and know how to go into the long haul market? And if they were to go into the long haul market do you really think they would buy long haul aircraft such as A330/777 etc. The closest they would get to an aircraft like that would be a 767 which would probably be leased by Titan.

There's absolutely no way Jet2 are going to buy these types of aircraft. If you think so you're deluded.

The long haul market is completely different to short haul. It's all good and well, and a lot, lot easier trying to compete with EZY, TCX, TOM, MON etc, on short haul, than it is competing with all these other carriers that are being mentioned like Virgin and BA. You can't seriously think LS are gonna purchase the aircraft mentioned to fly to CUN, PUJ, SFO etc. The only chance they would go on these routes would be if they were using the 757s - and they wouldn't be able to compete with the other carriers, in my opinion.

The market for Spain, Turkey etc is/was a lot easier for LS to climb into. I know that coming into this type of market is something LS will not do, it would be a huge risk. Jet2 purchasing an A330/777 is laughable, and slightly cringeworthy, if I'm honest and I think the closest to long haul they'll get is a 757 or an A321/767 (leased). An airline that can only afford to lease generally 20+ year old aircraft buying/leasing incredibly expensive wide bodies sounds very financially viable....