PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2014, 21:28
Danny42C

Loss of Harvard FE965.

jaganpvs,

This is fascinating ! I've examined the photo minutely, and observe as follows:

I have no recollection of W/Cdr Edmondes (or anybody else) saying anything about a fire in the air at the time. Yet the aircraft shows scorch/smoke marks back from the engine. Even those might be not fire marks, but old oil streaks.

Standing on the wing is an IAF Corporal (no cap ?) Probably from the Repair and Salvage Unit which took it over from me - as also is the figure bending over the cockpit, talking to some one inside. This is a British officer (check cap, smart dherzi-tailored shorts, long woolen socks) who may be RSU (RAF) or from Porcal (Army), but certainly none of mine.

On the far side is an Indian police constable, as is at least one of the figures in the group in the background. The Harvard is in a growing paddy field, seemingly perched on a paddy-bund.

As I said, once the aircraft was off my inventory, I had no further interest in it. Strangely, although I had flown Harvards before and after, I never flew that one - it was solely the W/Cdr's "perk", although it was on my Unit charge and we serviced it. This was now post-war; if originally US-supplied it would certainly have been Lend-Lease. Even if it were repairable, they would now take it back after our repair, oherwise we'd have to destroy it if we didn't want to pay for it. What would have been the position had it been Canadian-built [Canadian Car & Foundry) ? - I don't know).

The easiest solution all round was to destroy it on the spot, so that is what they did. They chopped it up and torched it. That I didn't know (or if I did know, I've entirely forgotten).

This is a wonderful find - many thanks , Jagan. (and also to your correspondent "Scott" of the "RAF Commands Board" (??).

Cheers, Danny.