PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2003, 05:15
Faire d'income
I call you back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rudder

I completely understand colleagues of the FO defending him, thats what friends are for. However their case doesn't really add up.

The program, while very good, ran along the current US/UK ' hate everthing francais' lines with the notable exception of the end.

The conclusion seemed to be don't input full rudder reversal repetitively on any type or you risk structural failure. That knocks the anti-Airbus argument back.

We seem to be left with two questions:

1. Is the certified ultimum load on the A300 ( indeed all types ) sufficiently high or is there reason to raise it?

2. Are training sections doing enough to ensure pilots operate to manufacturers specs and understand the procedures required to achieve this?

The program also highlighted one small point that has not been picked up on here, wasn't dealt with fully in the cockpit and if I was honest happens in my cockpit a lot;

The unfortunate FO was never happy with that TO. He was obviously uneasy about departing after a 747 even though the correct separation would be given. ........Some good advice I got years ago advised me to always track down that 'funny feeling' even if it's the FO's instincts, not yours. It might just save you.

The whole thing is a very sad business.