PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Medals/Bar!
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2014, 10:52
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I did hear a vicious rumour a few weeks ago that consideration was being given to re-instating the GSM. If correct, and the rumour wasn't actually relating to what's mentioned here, it would seem to make sense given the number of smaller ad hoc operations that might otherwise qualify for some sort of medallic recognition but fall short of a campaign medal.

Personally, I would welcome a slight relaxing of the rules and have always thought we have been somewhat parsimonious in our medals policy. I don't advocate ribbons for this and that, but if people are deploying on a named operation, then why not. I've always enjoyed seeing people in No 1s and 5s with ribbons / medals, it's a sort of visual representation of what they have done as an individual and what the Services have been up to, often out of sight of much of the population. And it often gives rise to some very interesting stories over a beer afterwards. Plus, I've always found the Govt's rules on 'double medalling' to be, shall we say, liberally interpreted when required; after all, you win a medal in the Olympics, why should you also get another medal for just doing your job and for which you have already been rewarded.

On the other hand, if I ended up qualifying for an LS&GC, well frankly, I think that would be the end of any credibility associated with it