PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AC 1174 emergancy landing in YYZ
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2014, 07:43
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Married a Canadian

In my experience, it's rare (at least in the type rating training that I've received) that training providers give a proper QRH briefing that includes a healthy discussion on what constitutes an emergency and what constitutes an urgency. I've also been told not to bother setting 7700 in the xpndr despite it being a QRH item directing a crew to do so. Especially if an emergency is declared. Apparently, (according to one instructor I had) if you're on radar talking to ATC, it isn't absolutely necessary if you tell ATC you have a system problem and need to run a checklist. I'd say this kind of instruction is what MIGHT be creeping into the system more and more. Not sure...
I'm not sure either, why crews intentionally avoid the proper use of these terms. The AIM is quite clear on the use of and requirement for "Mayday" and "Pan Pan" during certain situations.
It may be due to a greater interest in wanting to sound cool, calm, and collected with a touch of "this is no big deal" thrown in. I honestly couldn't answer your question.

In my estimation, a fuel emergency says it all. In other words, it's at least a "Pan Pan" call. "Mayday" if the fuel state is critical.
My experience flying for a Canadian charter operator, several years ago now, especially westbound from Europe to Toronto. We always took flight plan fuel which, depending on winds, wasn't necessarily enough to make our destination, YYZ.
Entering Canadian airspace a fuel check was made over a predetermined waypoint and if we didn't have the required fuel for YYZ, we re-filed YUL with YYZ as our alternate or landed short. Common everyday practice at that airline. In fact, I've declared min fuel lots of times going into Toronto. Never once (back then) used the term "Mayday" or "Pan Pan" when doing so either. I wouldn't say it was a strategy for cutting into line but it usually worked out that way.

There's also the SMS aspect to all of this. I'd imagine many pilots don't wish to be involved or named in an SMS incident nor do they wish to write reports. The contradiction of course, is in the reality a report will still have to be submitted.

In for a penny, in for a pound, sez I!

Willie