PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New level of passenger service
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2014, 01:00
dr dre

Received 389 Likes on 211 Posts
Ad-astra

You're defending a CC member who knowingly assisted in the concealment or destruction of an unknown amount of illegal drugs of an unknown type, and justify it as an attempt assist these 'young people' maintain a criminal free record.
No, "knowingly assisted" in the "concealment if a crime" isn't the term I'd use. If were the FA on that flight I just would have emphasised the fact to these largely young, uni aged post Splendour attendees that police drug detection dogs operate at airports just as they do at music festivals. The police aren't shy about releasing warnings of what events they will be attending to detect illegal drug use:
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian
I would have omitted the "you can flush anything you don't want to get caught with down the toilet" bit, they should have been smart enough to get the obvious hint.

Do you also support assisting the drug pusher on board bringing home his unsold wares?
Do you also support assisting the serious drug users on board bringing home cheap drugs to sell in Sydney?
No to both, but the actions of any airline crew aren't going to have an effect on the drug market. If there's a demand for various substances, people will find a way to market and sell them, regardless of the law

Maybe you advocate the CC sizing up the passengers during flight and deciding who they should have a 'subtle' conversation to because they look like innocent nice 'young people', and who they should just ignore and let the NSW constabulary nab.
Well that's exactly what happens now.
Hey, sure it's easy to wait for a group of 18-20yr old uni students coming off the Splendour in the Grass plane, and yeah I'm sure a large proportion of them will test positive to or possess ecstasy or cannabis.

My problem is, if we are serious about the "War on Drugs", why don't we raid on a Sydney CBD bar on a Friday night? Or how about an end of year christmas party for a major business? Or whatever establishment the staffers from a political party go to after a long week? I assure you a large proportion of people at these places will test positive to or possess cocaine, but it'll be embarrassing for the police to have to march out a high flying middle aged banker, doctor, lawyer, politician or TV presenter in handcuffs.

Your opinions on 'funny pills and powders' is truly enlightening
It should be, go look at the opinion of a scientist or researcher, they will tell you the funny pills are less dangerous than alcohol:
Dancing with Molly

Now do I support illegal drug use, or addiction? Hell no. I would never advise children of mine to partake in the use of illegal drugs. Or I would never advise them to use any drug to excess (including alcohol) or develop an addiction

I guess my post wasn't really about the actions of this FA, and more a higher level thought about the hypocrisy I see in society regarding different drugs.
If I was made Dictator of Australia I would decriminalise most drugs (what people do in their private time that doesn't affect others is none of my business) and divert the resources from the police and the courts to medical health professionals in order to treat drug addiction, alcohol and tobacco included.

I guess most of us airline crew would hate it if the police cracked down on us having a few beers on a layover, just because some people are alcoholics.