PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA, good luck controlling this!
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2014, 22:56
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Andy RR, if by some remote chance I ever discover that someone such as you is operating a UAV close to where I am landing or taking off from, or in what could reasonably be described as the circuit for any form of landing area, registered or not., then you can save your legalistic argument for when you leave hospital.

To put that another way, I promise you I will do everything I possibly can to immediately disable the UAV, up to and including disabling its operator, if I reasonably determine that the operation is an immediate threat to safe aviation.

By way of explanation, and without wishing to go into specifics, there are a couple of aircraft operators near and dear to me who regularly fly from what I will loosely term "public open space" where it is quite possible that they may encounter such a hazard in future, especially if the UAV operator is untrained and with hare brained ideas about what is permitted.

To put that yet another way, if I see a UAV at the same time I can see a light aircraft then the UAV is too close and I will physically shut the UAV down. Three miles separation is about right.

I have had enough aviation scares of one sort or another that have taught me never to underestimate how stupid people will behave.

Furthermore if you actually looked at the regs, you will find it is an offence to even plan to fly close to a CTA boundary.