PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Replacement for Aircrew cutter Mk1
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2014, 22:02
Axel-Flo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which replacement

IMHO, for what it's worth,

The old aircrew knife and the less seen version with a normal blade I have used for May things in over 30 years from opening tins and bottles to spreading Rat Pack Pate or Marg on Biscuits Brown (the curved blade strap cutter blade wasn't so good as a spreading tool) I also used the real original winch and J knife for cutting ropes, harness straps and even sheet aluminium once....

If you want an egress tool a better version of the crappy black plastic one would be great, the J shaped strap cutter however works best when there are 2 separate and cross angled blades forming the J.

This of course has limited uses...it's great as a strap cutter but for anything else...... Now this is where you need to have a survival pack containing other tools for chopping, skinning, cutting etc etc....the list goes on. And of course never forget the kit you have is only any good if you get away from the aircraft with it on your person or in your grubby MIT. The bergens full of kit the Chinny guys had is of course perfect as long as it goes with them... The strap cutter therefore needs a separate and supplementary knife/blade/axe/tool included in the jacket or flight suit contents... Actually though I still like it. The US one does look better and maybe more effective than ours which means they probably didn't take the cheapest option.....