PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2014, 17:03
olasek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.I have read last week an interesting article about 4 Cirrus SR20 and 22 recent accidents in France , where overconfidence in glass cockpits info and automation was a contributing factor in all cases.
The article did not say round dials would have saved their days, but with a traditional aircraft probably more caution would have been used
Speed tape is one thing but there is also aircraft attitude much better visible on new glass avionics. I fly a 'glass' Cirrus and I have much better info on my PFD about the pitch attitude - a very important indication. On old style steam gauges pitch was specially poorly visible, it was in fact so bad it was almost useless. With Cirrus I think it is more overconfidence that stems from capability of the aircraft itself (speed, performance, CAPS) than with glass avionics.

. But note that it too, stalled. Would it have crashed if, for airspeed indicators, it had the big round dials of yesterday? I bet not.
You are welcome to have your own opinions but multiple studies (including NASA's) on this subject do not support your conjecture.

Last edited by olasek; 29th Jul 2014 at 17:38.