PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2014, 02:02
The_Architect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLIGHT GRADING (BASIC)

There aren't a lot of entries here regarding the recent flight grading process, mainly because most people come to ask a few unanswered questions and never return, and those who do frequent the place just stalk people and read. So this first-person entry regarding FG is in response to a some frequently asked questions and a few personal requests. Flight Grading these days may be shorter and the planes can be different (or about to be), but rest assured they look for the same qualities and standards in the applicant.

Just to clarify, basic grading these days contains FOUR flights, look at it as a week-long aptitude test. Before each of the flights the applicant will be briefly lectured on what to expect the upcoming flight. Some will be told by e-mail a compass test is included during the stay in Adelaide, but it doesn't exist, flight grading only included flight assessment if not a few technical questions asked by the instructor. For most people who passed stage 2 the purpose and effects of aircraft controls are obvious, but practicing them on the field is a different story. Through the week the basic applicant will be taught to to climb, descend, maintain level flight, turn, practice stalls and do wingovers. Instructor are basically told to note how well / fast do you learn and recall knowledge.

The amount of pointers available for this level are much less than that of Stage 1 and 2, and due to individual difference the variation and expectations differ among instructors. In other words, flight grading is different for everyone, there isn't a specific scale that points to good or bad. Another factor to keep in mind is that the grading is assessed as a whole, and one should not focus too hard on their first few flights, because they weren't meant to be perfect...After each flight there will be a short debriefing between the applicant and instructor noting any errors and room for improvement. However, they will not be told whether they have done well or bad in the instructors perspective.

Bear in mind that these flying instructors are trained to give pressure and watch for reactions, and people in the past have succumbed to it. During my second flight, my mind went blank for several minutes during a series of maneuvers, the instructor whom had been pumping pressure almost made brought it to a tipping point. It was among the spewing saliva and cussing that I silently thought to myself everything I had worked for could very well end in that ****ty minute.

To a lot of applicants, myself included, flight grading is a mystical land of fairies and unicorns that is one step next to heaven, the final YES for acceptance into the CPP and ultimately SO in Cathay Pacific. FG was the land so far that only few will have the privilege of visiting in their lifetime, but at the same time the last and final battleground where the hero will face the ultimate boss and his fate. With no exaggerations, failing anything beyond Stage 2 result in a permanent ban from re-application.

The last seven months was a bumpy ride, and I sincerely thank all of those whom have helped me in the selection process both on the board and behind the scenes, and hope the people I have helped directly and in-directly in the past can send the love forward to applicants to come. Within the next month I will receive the message that will tell me whether it is for all or nothing. Wishing everyone on this board the best of their endeavors. Good luck.

Last edited by The_Architect; 29th Jul 2014 at 02:25.