PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA's new recruitment agenda!!!
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2003, 00:46
AfricanSkies
THUNDERTAILED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
concordino, the government of this country changed nearly a decade ago . White kids who are applying to SAA now for cadetships were primary school kids then.

4HP, maybe you'll rev me for this (can't think why, just a knee-jerk guilty reaction at going to say something about race), but maybe its time to call a spade a spade. Most of the black pilots whom I encounter are presently advantaged in that they come from rich families, plus they are black. Show me some township boys whose parents live in a shack and I'll show you someone who isn't a pilot. Not only that, some of the ones who have made it are not exactly presenting shining examples to the rest of us.

There are some very capable blacks out there, not just in aviation. Its sad that the majority are giving the minority a bad name. If ten years after coming into government, and having complete power to alter things, blacks can't stand on their own two feet without intervention and political support, then its a poor show and reflects on their ability to actually do the job.

Obviously apartheid is alive and well in South Africa. Its very sad and if it doesn't change, this country is going the way of Zimbabwe and every other tinpot country in Africa, which will give the continent a 100% strike rate.

Wonder if one can bet at a bookies on this sort of thing?