PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 28th Jul 2014, 20:02
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't see why one would covert a HUPRA bag. True; the Mk 1 bag was more durable than the Mk2. One of the adverse comments when I took the prototype Mk2 bag to show the squippers at LYN to ensure the contents would all fit was the zip was not up to much. (big black plastic not brass) Was it fit for purpose or unsafe? Could you undo it in a hurry? The zip was changed to make the bag more desirable. I think we bought around 50 each with a set of brand new 10K and 5K floor fittings and a shinny new T handle J knife. (what they called an Air Sea Rescue Knife). Several years later having seen these things being bay serviced at AFPSU all of the new fittings had been swapped out for old ones. I blew my top as I had personally supervised the kitting of the new bits for this critical lifesaving bit of kit.

I wonder how much the Mod cost to have the fittings removed from the bag and the AP changed when the K went out of service.

OK - on the topic of bags - how many of you own up to having one of the para recovery bags for their garden rubbish? The heavy duty canvas ones cost £196 each hence we introduced the £5.60 one made in Mumbai. 0.25p was to cover the stencilling to stop you buggers pinching them!!!