PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2014, 19:50
stranger12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
becoming a pilot

Hi All,

I hope you are well.

I want to become a pilot and persuade my childhood dream which could not fullfill earlier in life. below is a short summary about me and what I want to do after which I will ask the questions I have in mind and will appreciate every single answer.

I am 27 years old and do not have any background in aviation etc .
I am working at the moment and touch the wood the income is ok to allow me to attain my private pilot license within the next 1-3 years for 45 hours of flight and doing all exams.

by that time I will be around 30ish and understand form reading around to be a commercial pilot, I need to have 200 hours of training .

questions I have are :

1. Am i very old to start this ? Can I start as late as 35 and become a pilot ?

2. what is the job market like, is it very tough to get in ?

3. is the salary range between 50-150K ( pound ) depending on experience ?

4. after the 45 hours of training in the UK, do I just need to do another 155 hours of normal flight or does it have to be on a multi engine aeroplane and I guess it will be more expensive .

I am currently paying around £180 per hour for training.

5. is the 8 poolys book all that is needed to read and pass to become a pilot ? This is needed for private license, are there more exams to pass for commercial license?

6. I am fit physically and have no issues however I need to wear glasses.
I also have filled tooth (about 5-6 ) and one tooth from the back of my mouth missing. I think i will be cetified for class 2 medical, however for class 1 medical certificate would my current condition be an issue?

I have always heard people saying if your vision is not perfect or have filled tooth you will fail but never did any investigation on it . I didn't hear this from expert but rather friend and family which is why I am asking for your opinion.

Your help is much appreicated .

I should mentioned I can complete this in 1 year if I can see a hope that from PPL I can move onto commercial license fairly easy as it will be a career change for me .

Many thanks and sorry if you get asked the same questions over and over again.