PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to handfly the B777
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2014, 16:23
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yikes.....where do you begin? Firstly I have no idea if you have any "real" flying experience so forgive me if you you know the following, and I may be a bit rusty since I last taught Straight and Level 2 over 25 years ago....( Power+Attitude+ Trim = Trimmed performance.....but of course that only worked if the whiteboard briefing was done using the correct combination of colours..), but I'll give it a go.

What i understood from the b777 is that it has an autotrimming feature like the A320 but only for config change, thrust, turbulence, bank, gear , so if you want to change speed you need to do it with the trim on the yoke which will change the trim speed reference
Correct, the aircraft needs to be trimmed for speed changes in the same way as the likes of C172, an F4, even a 747.

the aircraft will then target the trim reference speed with phugoid phenomenon.
If you want to think about it in that way, yes, but I reckon you're overcomplicating the process.

If you've never flown a conventional aircraft you need to do what the real newbies do, which is not rush into IF approaches. You need to spend time mastering the basics, in this case learn to trim. Forget the ILS at the moment, take your "sim" up to medium altitude, and take time accelerating and then decelerating the aircraft, whilst at the same time trying to hold and trim to a fixed attitude (i.e. ignore any height changes - just hold the attitude). Once you've got the hang of that then try trimming as you change attitude to try and hold straight and level ( as the speed changes you need to be changing the pitch attitude and trim- once you've done that you'll be in a better position to trim out changes on the approach and elsewhere. Just a FWIW - you mention the Trim reference Speed (TRS) a lot but don't get hung up on that - on our aircraft we don't get a readout of the TRS ( we can in the sim, for training purposes), trimming is all done by feel ( is there a residual stick force?) and by eye (is the attitude I selected changing?)....if the answer to either of those is yes then you're not in trim.

On the basis that a picture paints a thousand words anyone know of an S&L 2 or similar video/youtube link?

flying a A320 is mush more efficient to maintain the fligh path, but that's only my opinion.
Well maybe the hard earned art of manually trimming is regarded as old fashioned by some in Toulouse but IMHO there's "flight path maintenance" and then there's flying ........in any event bonne chance!!

Last edited by wiggy; 28th Jul 2014 at 16:38.