PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Feel the fear...and do it anyway?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2014, 15:28
Heebicka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't give it up now, simple don't. Try to make another decision after 5-6 hours in logbook. Right now you are probably scared about everything and not comfortable moving in real 3D. I can remember my first lession, intro flight, scared about every single unexpected (and insignificant) movement of plane, trying to compensate everything. Scared to bank over 10 degrees as it looks "too much and we have to fall", holding yoke like my whole life depends on the pressure on yoke, completely ignoring instructor saying in correct configuration only two fingers are enough, leads to my hand was sweating so hard, pants looked like i pissed myself. When I left plane after hour and half I feel myself like construction worker after 12hour shift.

I needed couple of hours to get rid of this, was changed somewhere around 4-5 hour where we did spins and stalls, next step is circuit training, so basically landing training = lot of landings within 5-7 minutes intervals. Lot of 3point landings or float away from flare. This will be another point where you will consider to quit as someone wrote before. Just simple NO again From something which will be "I need to move yokes by milimeter but not two and I don't have a time for this" will be "there is a plenty of time for any compensation I did wrong.." If you don't give up here, instructor will let you flight a whole circuit with instrument closed. This will be first point where you will have real reason to be scared but there isn't any, mostprobably it will be your best circuit in takeoff, climb, circuit height and pattern and landing ever.

First reward is about to come, first solo. I think feeling from first solo are a bit overrated or my was different, same circuit as with instructor, nothing changed, keep your speed and circuit shape, everything will be same as with instructor. My feeling was "OK I am flying alone, game breaker now, but hell where is that "First sex" feeling, everything is exactly same as with instructor"

real reward will come after end of circuits training (15 alone or so) you will be somewhere around 15-20 hours and your lessons will be somelike "we will do one circuit together to see you're in shape, you will fly alone, but not circuits, you will just fly away and don't return before 45 minutes"
Free to go where you want to go, almost, the rest is just a piece of cake

In a short this "toolongdidn'tread", the progress is really really quick, what are hours in land life are minutes in sky life, what are minutes in ... are seconds...

I was surprised my school let me fly alone away from ATZ and CTR after I had something like 15hours in dual and 1.5 alone when I was still scared in after 4-5hours....