PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates and long term sickness
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2014, 14:17
Kapitanleutnant

In my opinion, this subject is one area where EK seems to do pretty well. I've heard of two pilots at EK who've had cancer and were able to go to their respective countries for treatment AND recuperation, one for 6 months and another for a year…. all the while getting paid basic salary.

From what I've heard, EK is quite helpful. Now, having said that…. that was about 4-5 years ago so as EK has become a more toxic environment to work in, this attitude may be different now days.

Here's what I know: If long term sick, EK will give you about a year more or less to get your license back (have heard rumour it may be only 6 months now). At the year point, they (EK) decide whether they will keep you on as a pilot or pay you your 3 years basic salary and say goodbye. Getting this 3 year basic salary is apparently not that easy to get. Many qualifications must be met in order to receive this. If you do lose your job at EK, you can request to be a sim instructor (SFI) but you will start all over with a new staff number and whatever ailment caused you to lose your medical, that ailment will now be considered a "pre existing" condition and will no longer be covered by EK medical coverage. Bit of a double edge sword there….

I've heard at the 45 day point of long term sick, you can be offered to come work in the office or burn vacation days at an accrual rate which I'm not familiar with. 42 days divided by 12 = 3.5 days per month. I honestly don't know if this is your choice but a pilot across the street from me was offered the option and chose the burning of vacation days vs working 9-5.

No matter how young you are, it's always a good idea to have some type of loss of income or license protection during your career. I've met a few very healthy, skinny pilots at EK who have lost their licenses due to medical.

K