PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ian Macfadyen gets a Nice Surprise !!
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2014, 11:39
grobbling about

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a first-tourist JEngO on the RAF's premier fighter sqn (the one with a chicken on the tail) I first met Sir Ian when he took over command of the Air Forces of the Kingdom of Fife. For several days he arrived on the squadron, planned, briefed and walked out, only to walk back in following a crew-in snag. Oh the joys of the mighty F4.

Then, on a further attempt, I heard that the Staish was crewing out again this timedue to a hydraulic problem. Sensing the opportunity for some career building face-time I donned ear-defenders and bravely walked out to the line to find him kneeling under the wing of the aircraft watching hydraulic fluid dripping from a mainwheel well. I joined the Staish under the wing and after a few moments uttered the phrase "you really should stop doing this to my aircraft, sir"....I thought the glare lasted for ever but it was probably only milliseconds before the smile broke through.

On another note, my wife joined me at Leuchars for her introduction to RAF life. She subsequently found herself in Ninewells Hospital with complications prior to delivery of our first child. Sally was a regular visitor, leaving Mrs Grob with an indellible image of the RAF family and a model to follow in the future.

Fantastic news.