PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Algerie loses contact with its plane leaving Ouagadougou
Old 28th Jul 2014, 10:40
BigFrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest news from French state + question re independence of any French investigation

F24 (the inernational French tv news service available 24/7 online I believe; and in English) reported recently that there will be an official news breiefing quite shortly.

As I highlighted above, I would not really welcome a Spanish investigation into this accident.

I am however equally (or perhaps even more) suspicious of a French investigation.

One earlier poster highlighted that air-accidents are officially classed as "state secrets" which is not in my experience the right mood-music for clarification. (Obviously protecting a crash sight to allow investigators to work unhindered and also to prevent ghouls or momentarily(?) insensitive reporters from offending relatives of the deceased is a wonderful idea.) But "state secret" seems way over the top.

In addition, there are comments above about the lack of info currently available from official French sources, as well as several statements to the effect that many French service personnel were on board.

It is easy for this question to just be one of "I don't like/ trust/ rate France," but surely the question of international public confidence in the contents and impartiality of the final report is of some importance.

Time for an EU air accident body ?