PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows: Inside the Bubble
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2014, 10:16
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WH,

The programme was pitched at a mid evening audience, folk who want to see how their tax is being spent.

In the main, it achieved that and although you can argue and nip around the ankles about production values (as I did), if the lady in my post office is anything to go by, she told me she loved it. If the aim of the BBC is to educate, inform and entertain in equal measure, the box was well and truly ticked - I quite liked the fact that debriefs are all done in the third person or anonymously - I didn't know that.

The special effects were restrained and although some of the dialogue and exchanges were a little bit hammy, so what? The editorial objective again, was to give the public a broad, high level insight into how some public employees earn their public salaries, not the detail. I don't think it was aimed at an in-house market - isn't that what SSVC is/was for?

Let's just be glad that we have a great team we can be proud of - let's not confuse that with an assesment of how the BBC does its job - let's not lose sight of what's important. The AOC seemed a decent bloke to me - and excuse my fascination with the intangible, but based on one of two moments in the hour, I think I identified an aspiring Red 1.