PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2003, 22:37
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saint...

I'm getting confused by what you mean by "sensitivity"??

Ailerons:
Most airliners have inboard and outboard, combine with spoilers on the downgoing wing. At high speed the outboard ailerons are "locked" out. However, I think someone posted here that the A300-600 does not have outboard ailerons??

Rudder:
Most aircraft allow a fixed amount of rudder deflection. As speed increases, full rudder deflection gives you less degrees of rudder deflection. However, the A300-600 just restricts the amount of rudder deflection. As Notso says, another important part of this is whether the "feel" i.e. force also changes with speed (this just simply replicates a Cessna 152 where the controls get harder to operate as speed increase due to airload).

BB
<<there any reason that Airbus shouldn't design the flight control software to make this accident impossible?>>
Well - they sort of have - its called an A320! In fact, I suspect the A320 is vulnerable to rudder reversal in the same way as here, but with most of the other Flight Envelope protections, "Upset" recoveries are not taught. You cannot overstress the aircraft in pitch, or stall it.... However, then you get all the Boeing Brigade jumping up and down about not liking "envelope protection" FBW!

NoD

Notso...

A310 Paris was Tarom I think? Some sort of impromptu aerobatic display near Orly - but all OK.

A310 in Bucharest. Something along lines of as power was reduced (to climb) one TL jammed. Machine kept "trying" to pull off power - resulted in Autopilot in with one at Full Power and one at idle - rolled in (Autopilot could not cope).

Moscow one - again I had not heard of that - looked pretty spectacular... but then so was the Icelandic B757 as Oslo recently (40deg nose down at 1500'? Recovered at 300'? And that was after the go-around!)

Best regards
NoD