PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2003, 22:34
Notso Fantastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rudder inputs at high speed produce very powerful effects, so the allowable range of movement is restricted AND the sensitivity is vastly increased. Full rudder at high speed would never be required.
Locking out the outboard ailerons is common- they are not needed at high speed- usually when flaps are up. Sensitivity would not be reduced by doing this. Thus they would still have increasing 'feel' with speed.
Any way you design flight control software to restrict one thing, somebody will find a way around it. So design must very carefully cater to what is being protected for- i don't think you can ever get it 'right'. Remember the A320 that flew into the trees restricting the pilot inputs because speed was too low to allow a pull up?
The Interflug upset into Moscow was horrifying- I didn't know about that one, and never knew an airliner could do that sort of aerobatics! But I distinctly remember a Tarom Airbus upset at Bucharest some 10-12 years ago- I know they lost one with an engine failure, but there was another upset that was similar to the Interflug- anyone remember?