PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile Phones on Aircraft CAA Report
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2003, 22:24
radeng

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Iron City,

The ITU are unfortunately always way behind in these matters. In fact, ITU workings are a bit like elephants mating - a lot of trumpeting and noise and then nothing happens for a couple of years. (Radeng goes to some ITU meetings, for his sins).
Currently, the FCC is investigating PLC (Power Line Communications) with a view to its interference potentials. The matter was brought up in the UK some time ago: Tony Blair's desire for 'Broadband Britain' meant that when there was a Cabinet committee meeting, the civil servants who realised that opposing the proposals would be bad for promotion rolled over with their feet in the air. NATO and the armed forces are worried about it - they are big users of HF, even in these days of military satellites: people from the UK Radiocommunications Agency, bless them, are fighting as hard as they can to keep the radio spectrum clean, but I understand that most other UK government departments would rather not rock the boat.

The European Commission also want PLC, and have various specious arguments about the users of HF being a minority. There have been mutterings about a Human Rights case, in that ethnic minorities in the EU wishing to receive broadcasts from their native countries that aren't available by satellite would have their Human Rights infringed. Whether that will get anywhere I don't know - I doubt it.

But using satellite is a good way to improve the satellite comms people's profits!