PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2003, 20:39
Notso Fantastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems the FEEL mechanism is not being considered here. Boeings have it and I can only assume Airbus too. Although at high speed the rudder pedal movement is restricted to a much smaller range than on the ground, the FEEL inputs to the rudder pedals would presumably make them feel very very heavy, therefore there is no dange of unintentionally pushing on large amounts of rudder. Certainly the 747 rudders at high speed feel solid and fixed, and never having had the desire to try out HOW much force is involved, I can't say exactly how solid, but the word 'rock' springs to mind!
The 747 device that varies Feel according to speed is the Rudder Ratio Changer: "This protects the vertical tail structure from stresses which could result from large rudder surface deflections at high airspeeds" (Tech Man). I would assume the Airbus has a similar feel system, however it would still have been at low airspeed allowing large deflections at a time of rapid upset. Maybe coupled with a pilot with a history of aggressive rudder inputs, a bad combination. I have seen several pilots myself with apparently over aggressive rudder techniques- presumably upbringing is an important factor. I remember after flying the VC10 I had to be trained out of this myself when converting to the Classic. From my early days in airline flying, i have always been made aware of 'take care with the rudder and use with great respect- it's the first of the flying controls that will fail on you'. Pilots know you can happily apply large aileron and elevator, but not to try it with the rudder.

Last edited by Notso Fantastic; 9th May 2003 at 20:51.