PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of AFCS in USL
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2014, 00:19
oleary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFCS

Hi Shawn,

Well, that's a topic all right

I have a bit experience night (uhhh, sort of) slinging in the Okie Arctic days and here is what we learned.

Sperry IFR Bell 212 with coupled FD. Heli 1&2 always on (obviously) and most of us would use HDG and ALT if the load was reasonably stable, FD off otherwise. Force trim off for takeoff and landing.

I should note that if the AIPs weren't kept fairly close to centre you could get what APPEARED to be a "partial hardover" (yeah, I know) with a swinging load. It wasn't of course, it was just the actuator reaching the limits of its authority. Many loads were dumped over this problem.

Sperry IFR Bell 212 without coupled FD. Heli 1&2 always on. Force trim off for takeoff and landing. Same note as above - just touch the force trim button momentarily to centre the AIPs and the problem goes away.

Bell IFR 212 - SCAS always on, use of AFCS seemed to be more personal preference. I found most loads could be better flown SCAS only. Force trim off for takeoff and landing.

S76 - AFCS always on. Force trim off for takeoff and landing.

S61 - AFCS always on. Force trim off for takeoff and landing.

I must say that night slinging in the Arctic for 8 years was one of the most enjoyable jobs I have ever done

Finally, I have flown with guys who like to daytime vertical ref with force trim on and some, like me, who prefer it off. Personal preference I reckon. AFCS always on, of course.

Cheers,
Jerry Cutler

Last edited by oleary; 27th Jul 2014 at 01:26.