PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2014, 17:34
Danny42C

MPN11 and Jaganpvs,

MPN11, surely they're not going to knock down that beautiful old Art Deco building down just because it encroaches on a 1:7 approach slope ? It was built for a slower, more gracious age when things like the HP42 floated gently down on Croyden and Le Bourget.

That was nothing but a big 4-motor Tiger Moth, Imperial Airways flew it down the Empire air routes for ten years pre-war, it never hurt a passenger in all its days. They had big, comfortable Lloyd-Loom type wicker chairs and there were little chintz curtains on the windows.

I suppose it would come in about 1:4 (not like today's projectiles, which hurtle in, scraping the boundary fence at about double the speed of the HP42's cruise, and then need most of 12,000 feet to top.) Biplanes for ever !

Jagan, At least they're not going to tear down yours at Begumpet - yet ! Looks to have been built in the same, leisurely, elegant era when the Raj looked as if it would last for ever ! - and regle (RIP) was the personal pilot of Mr Ratan Tata (Reg's Posts are way back on this Thread, including the gripping one of his hi-jack at Tel Aviv, when he was a Sabena 707 Captain. EDIT: Page 90 #1786 et seq this Thread.

Glad we cleared up the "966" mystery. But why would I not know they burned it ? As far as I was concerned, when it was struck off my charge, I must have simply forgotten all about it.

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 26th Jul 2014 at 18:18. Reason: Add Reference.