PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Service pension if Scotland were to become independent
Old 25th Jul 2014, 22:05
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's late and I've only scan read the thread, but I believe you (op) and possibly most who have replied have missed a fairly fundamental point.

Should Scotland vote yes, and should the UK legislative sovereign body (House of Commons and House of Lords, to you an me) uphold that vote...which they have said they will, some 18 months or so after the vote the UK ceases to exist.

For now, most people are content to represent that possibility, by labeling the resultant parts, Scotland and rUK, so let's go with that for now.

You (op) now get to decide your domicile...nobody, but nobody, can force you to be either a Scot (wherever you live now and wherever you were born) or a resident of rUK. In fact every single one of us living in Scotland (regardless of ethnic origin) and probably a very large percentage of those living in England, Wales and Northern Ireland will also face the same choice.

And the beauty of it is, no *****ing politician will have a say in our choice.

That is because we are all currently legally British...period. And when a democratic society changes its status by a democratic vote, its citizens defacto will have democratic choice of outcome.

If Scotland becomes independent (probably not) it will of course be able to enact any such laws as its society and its population wishes. But well before then, you and I will have had ample opportunity to foxtrot oscar down south (along with a sh1tload of wealthy jocks...if there is one thing history tells us, it is that fortune seeking jocks like to spread their wings...ain't that right 007)

Of course, if you decide to stay up here...well then that's your choice innit.

If you make that choice then it is pointless asking people for predictions...they cannot give them to you...nobody can. Nobody know what laws the new countries (Scotland and rUK) might enact. Anybody that tells you differently is basically full of it.

Personally, I am in the same situation, and there is no way that the responsibility for paying my pension will shift to the jocks. I'll be down the M74 and across the border quicker than you can say och aye the noo if that ever becomes even the remotest possibility.

Last edited by The Old Fat One; 25th Jul 2014 at 22:18.