PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2003, 17:36
gashcan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having had the privilege of flying some great aeroplanes - (C130, B757/767, A320/321/330) I also share the doubts regarding:
Rudder pedal travel
Rudder reversal
Rudder use during wake turbulence encounters

Can any '300' drivers confirm that there is really only one and a bit inches of rudder pedal travel?

As far back as basic training it was drummed into us that all flying controls are powerful creatures and should be treated with respect, (although on small aircraft full scale deflection was used regularly during aeros etc).

On larger aircraft (the Herc especially), large aggressive rudder movements are not encouraged - and I can't imagine a scenario where full scale deflection rudder would be aggressively required during normal flight on any large aircraft.

Even during an EFATO rudder input should be progressively applied quickly and smoothly - not aggressively.

X-wind landings only require a squeeze of rudder really, unless the conditions are very bad in which case it's a bit more - but again, never aggressively.

I have never found the need for large (if any) rudder applications during wake turbulence.

I suspect that AA's training regarding rudder during wake encounters maybe fault, and they do not wish to admit it, for obvious reasons of liability and litigation.
For them to bleat that they were never told that rapid rudder reversal is potentially dangerous is a bit disingenuous for me. They may never have been told - but isn't it obvious? Maybe not.
Did Boeing, McDonnell Douglas or Lockheed warn of this? I suspect not.

Also, not knowing the F/Os background or experience level, it may be that he found himself in a situation that he had not faced before and reacted as best he could, using the information available at the time, overcontrolling as he did so.

Unfortunately as always, it will probably end up with the major companies involved in a slanging match, with only the lawyers benefitting.

We'll all learn from this one I hope.

PS
(The conspiracy theory just ain't sound I'm afraid!)

PPS
Bootlegger - good question, may need a longish answer and I've gone on a long time already. There is a small bit about rudder ratios in 'Handling the Big Jets' page 263/4, and I'm sure other contributers will help out!