PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2014, 18:47
Jack1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is being largely ignored though, is that all Cork's problems are not Shannon made.
I've never heard any Cork issue being acknowledged by any Gov rep in relation to Shannon? These are the issues;

1) The playing field between Cork and Shannon is not a level one, one had it's debt removed we were told to ensure growth, Cork needs growth to be ensured and it is not being supported in a way that it should be alike Shannon.

2) Shannon has always been supported in ensuring deals which Cork legally cannot, that is not a fair regime. Examples Aeroflot/Ryanair, granted they both came back to hit SNN full force.

3) In relation directly to SNN, I would have no issue with there being routes for example launched to Frankfurt, Madrid or Rome - These are routes that are needed in Munster and they should be pursued. However it is not acceptable that for FR to grow they have to go after Aer Lingus Regional at Shannon, chase Aer Lingus Cork routes, remove their own routes from Cork to Shannon and then for Shannon Airport to release press statements announcing growth which it is most definitely not. The new Ryanair routes from Shannon to Berlin and Poitiers are most welcome. I could say it was fair, SNN included the Santa flights the PR stunt that was to increase marginally there 2013 stats to show growth, but it was not.

There has been one political issue at Cork Airport, a building of a new terminal promised by a Gov TD to be debt free. That's it. Cork has had no favours, SNN has repeatedly had them. And how we the public are ment to view this current set up as legit and fair is borderline ridiculous.