PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Once upon a time there was Air Nauru.
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2014, 12:50
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
"Tall Tales of the South Pacific"
You may have mis-quoted the title. The correct title is "Tall Tails (as in aircraft tails) of the South Pacific"

While it is true the freighter version RN3 had a large freighter door up front, it was not of course primarily for President Hammer De Roburt's armchair suite. During the specifications plans for the fleet it was obvious the remoteness of Nauru and the need to bring in urgently needed perishables and general freight, required a freight capable type which also carried passengers. The floor was strengthened but rollers were not installed because that would have increased the empty weight of RN3 which was already about one tonne heavier than the other 737's in the fleet.

Besides the normal cargo holds, freight including passenger bags would be sometimes be loaded in the cabin with the passengers seat configuration changed as needed. Load and trim sheets were done manually.
I am sure every Air Nauru pilot from the early years of the operation has dined out on a story or ten to tell. It is such a pity few got around to recording their experiences for posterity. At least some have recorded their stories in Pprune pages which is a good thing.

The photo of the 737 doing the low run along the runway at Nauru was taken from the balcony of the flight service control tower situated less than 100 metres from the runway. Judging by the shadow of the aircraft on the runway the 737 was about 50 feet high. It is hard to envisage a Boeing 727-100 flying along the same runway at half that height. A trick of the memory perhaps or a little embellishment - or combination of both?

Many memories of the place, but the fondest one, as a 5yr old, was the Lego shop. Then the cheapest in the world. My kids are about to inherit crate loads of the stuff!
I know exactly what you mean. I well recall the kindly Nauruan lady with such a lovely well spoken voice who ran the Lego shop from her house at the bottom of the road that curved up into Menen Terrace. My daughter (now 38) was about seven years old at the time, and still talks with great affection of the Lego lady

Last edited by Centaurus; 4th Aug 2014 at 13:31.