PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I found this interesting
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2014, 12:41
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And another very large LoCo 'used' to give captains company mobiles. What now? I even flew for a smallish Italian intercontinental charter 20 years ago that gave captains AND pursers company mobiles. As we were all over the place, often with last minute changes, it really was necessary.
Another LoCo had a/c at many airports all over Europe; had a very tight schedule to keep; had very very few spare a/c or crews, and yet relied entirely on ATC and handler's departure messages to know where their a/c were. They knew when they were airborne, somewhat later, but not the push-back in live time. Thus anticipating arrival delays and making adjustments always happened at the last minute. Resulting chaos. A few pennies on communication - that great CRM philosophy - and hundreds of £'s would be saved.
I found in many airlines the blinkers were on. The wizz-kids could not see a small investment could bring big returns, in anything. Before expenditure they needed to know of an immediate tangible return. If not, then no cash on the table. There are still companies flying around with hand made load sheets. The dispatcher spends more time doing that, and sometimes making mistakes that have caused tail strikes, than monitoring all the factors involved in a speedy turn-round. The cost of computer load sheets is pennies. Why steam driven in one area and super hi-tech in others? But then we never do know 'whole big picture' do we?