PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2014, 11:08
NutLoose

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,231 Posts
When there isn't a published repair scheme within the maintenance documentation then you'll, no doubt, now have to jump through many MAA hoops involving the unequivocal report from an Engineering Officer in outlining a suitable repair scheme.
You misconstrued what I was getting at, in the Civilian world there is not often a repair scheme for everything and the manuals are often very scant in this respect, so it is often up to the Licenced Engineer to produce his own repair scheme based on his knowledge and what is available, they give you a basic guide to repairing various parts or point you at the book i listed and you then adapt the schemes available to your item and repair it accordingly.
Some aircraft I can think of, the Cessna 152 as an example is actually very good in several aspects, Cessna recognised the fail points in wings when they impact the ground or have heavy landings, and they produce spar end section repairs and the drawings, so you can chop out sections of spar (Tip and Rear Inboard Spar) and let in replacement sections with the enclosed doublers.. otherwise I would simply re-spar the wings, not difficult if you know what you are doing and keep checking the washout to make sure you maintain it as you nail it all back together.
That is the probem the services will now come up against with off the shelf designs, as opposed to ordering bespoke one offs designed for the military as they used to in the past.