PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing on undulating runways
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2003, 16:30
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinstaafl - thanks, that was exactly the answer I was looking for! I think I will try to practice looking closer to the aircraft for sink rate clues before going somewhere like Eggesford to practice.

Everyone else, keep the advice coming, it all helps. Might be worth re-emphasising that I'm flying a tail-dragger, so keeping the attitude high enough to land main-wheels first isn't enough, I have one very specific attitude in which I must land. Nose-low and I bounce, nose-high and it'll stay on the ground but may not stay in one piece if I do that too often.

There is a theme, which Reddo has emphasised, about not adding an extra few knots. This sounds like a very valid point. On the day in question it was pretty gusty. I have a Vs0 of 42kts, and I usually use Va of 55kts. Flapless landings are not an option since the gear and flaps are on the same lever. Because of the gusts, I was approaching at 60kts - the gusts were reducing the IAS to below 50kts at times. Maybe I would be better sticking to airfields I know, or staying on the ground, in these conditions in future - at least until I'm more capable of handling these undulations.

FFF
------------