PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRM - single pilot minded captains
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2014, 09:09
runwayedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRM - single pilot minded captains

Hi all,

I would just like to hear a few point of view from a flight I've had lately.
I'm a fairly new FO with around 500 hours on type but I have over 1000 hours doing various other flying jobs. Recently on a flight with a captain I felt as though he has no trust in the FO's.

At the briefing, he would sit quietly and work out fuel figures himself not asking what I think. Our company procedures state that both pilots need to discuss the fuel situation although the final decision always lies with the captain.

I was PF. When I called for a checklist he would say, we don't need that now. Well do it later. Below level 100 he was always talking and we fly in a very busy area. But what I found worst of all is he was always playing with the FMS. Modifying the plan, constraints, CI, conversion speeds. He was doing this all without talking or mentioning what he was doing.

For the approach I prepared I gave a full brief explaining why I wanted to do what I had planned. Everything was fine no questions asked then a few mins later he starts fiddling again and modifies the plan. He turns to me and says we don't need to do it like this. 2 minutes later ATC ask us to meet the constraints which I had originally inserted which he then re-inserted. He would adjust the FCU without asking or explaining.

I could go on but it made for an atmosphere where it showed that he wants to do it all. No trust in the FO. I am vey humble with my ability. I'm new to this and I know I'll improve. But I've had no comments from captains before about my performance or decision making. I've had excellent feedback from my OPC's.

I can't help but feel that a bad situation has the potential to get worse due to a captain who's not willing to involve his FO.

Does anyone here feel it's right if or the PNF to modify the FMS and use the FCU without discussing or explaining? (Have in mind that this was on a routine day where everything went to plan flight wise)

Talking below level 100 and as low as 2000' in very busy airspace?

Even taking off his seatbelt at low altitude and leaning across the cockpit to look out.

Any input would be great, how would people react to this?

I hope all is well and look forward to hearing captain and FO opinions.