PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2003, 15:21
Anthony Carn

Regarding the Horizon programme and according to my searches, which I cannot personally verify as accurate :-

[1] -- There was no mention of the comments of senior American Airlines pilot, John Lavelle, who told the NTSB that five years ago, while flying with Molin (the co-pilot in the crash and the pilot in control during the incident), he noticed that Molin used the rudder too aggressively during a takeoff.

[2] -- There was no mention that in 1997 an American Airlines pilot, David Tribout, expressed concerns about the way his company's pilots were being trained to use rudders, saying what they were being taught was potentially dangerous.

[3] -- There was no mention that in 1998, reacting to a turbulence incident involving another A300 flown by American, Airbus warned the NTSB in a memo that rapid back and forth movements of the rudder could lead to structural loads that exceed the design load of the fin.

Can anyone verify the above ?

If they are accurate, then why were these not mentioned in the Horizon programme ? Or did I miss them ?